Saturday 22 December 2012

TCF 6th and Last day - Everlasting Experience

This specific blogpost is dedicated to not just kids in my group but also mentors and coordinators at our Nurpur campus. This entire Rahbar mentorship programme belonged not only to me, my co-mentor or our group 'Sunshine' but others as well because everyone played their part really well. Though the major part of dedication still lies with the kids in my group. Momin Raza, Muhammad Fayyaz, Zeeshan Riaz, Sajawal Latif, Bilal Ali and Aqib are special and they all have a great future ahead of them InshAllah. I do believe they know its only hard work that will pave way for better future and to be honest, hard work is deeply instilled in them. I am sure they shall fight every obstacle out. InshAllah!

As far as mentors and coordinators are concerned then I've to specially thank them because all of them have been a great support over the past 6 weeks. I must mention my co-mentor here as well; Raza Zaidi who has been a brilliant co-mentor and I seriously enjoyed mentoring these kids with him. The guy has his way with the words unlike many and I'm sure kids will learn a lot from him. Maham who's not only a dear friend but coordinator as well have been great throughout as well and along with Ahsan Bhai, another TCF Legend and coordinator as well; have done something amazing and that its really hard for me to put into words. The way these two have coordinated everything from usual sessions to LUMS visit to almost everything,its just beyond me,its just great. They're legends indeed. Tuba, another Legend here has been brilliant and very helpful as well and since she's working for TCF as well then whatever she's and entire administration at TCF's been doing,its just great and looking back at the entire experience I think I will definitely volunteer again. Also Uncle Shaukat and another Omar farooq, two mentors. I must admit I envy them because these two have done a great job, even more so than I did with the kids. From what Ive seen, the kids love them. 

Moving on, I will miss these kids. I seriously will. Over the past 6 weeks, I have grown attached with them. Going to their school in Nurpur every Saturday not only gave me a chance to see how these kids study and work in an environment that is completely different from kids their age back in the city but also taught me deep sense of humility. Everything is new to me and I will cherish each and every second that Ive spent with them.. It was just another day and again we mentors gathered at the campus. Firstly we had to go through the entire recap-session of what we taught the kids in previous kids and we had to do it in a jiffy this time. Gladly everyone of them had remembered about every cycle from 'Soch-sey-Taqdeer-Tak' to 'Victim-creator' cycle. I was glad. Next up were letters that they wrote to themselves about their goals and aspirations and how they can go about achieving them. This was the usual part. The best part was yet to come. YES, THE GIFTS ! We mentors had decided on getting them a gift and that is exactly what we did. We bought interactive atlas and stationary boxes for them. I personally love atlases. I grew up with them so I just knew it what to gift them and I did and the kids loved them. Hopefully they'll brush up their geography skills with these atlases.

Next up was ceremony organized entirely by school administration. Kids had prepared a brilliant skit and it was amazing and darn funny. Not only this we mentors were presented with certificates as well so this was a personal 'YAY' moment for me so 'YAY ME!'. Mentees too were awarded certificates and not only this they even gave us mentors a parting gift as well. It was special. It IS special and I am so happy right now.

What was more astonishing is a fact that even though it was all fun and cheerful but emotional as well. After all this, I saw two young girls from fellow group actually crying for their mentors. Maham was their mentor and seeing all the energy she possess, no wonder the girls were crying and no doubt they will miss her. I had only heard about it but today saw the emotional outcome today as well. It only gives us an idea regarding how we're making difference in their lives. I am not claiming i am making a difference the way others and coordinators have because they've done it way better but personally for me, this entire session was brilliant.

I did learn a lot and hopefully I will volunteer again because its great. Being a university student and part time worker,I took this as an opportunity to get away from usual things but now I think about it, its more than that. Rahbar is indeed about change. Its about a change we're all collectively making. Its NOT a get-away-programme-from-busy-life,its NOT. Its life cycle in itself and I enjoyed every second of my time with kids, mentors and coordinators. Its special.

1 comment: